IRCC provides pathways for people who want to voluntarily renounce their status as a permanent resident of Canada or Canadian Citizenship. If you renounce your permanent resident status or Canadian citizenship, you lose all the rights and privileges of being a Permanent Resident or Canadian citizen and will have no status in Canada.
People who were previously Permanent Resident or Canadian citizen can also resume their status.
Eligibility to Renounce Canadian Citizenship
- be a citizen of a country other than Canada or become a citizen of a country other than Canada if your application to renounce is approved
- not live in Canada
- be at least 18 years old
- not be a threat to Canada’s security or part of a pattern of criminal activity
- not be prevented from understanding the significance of renouncing your Canadian citizenship by reason of having a mental disability and
- not be subject to revocation of citizenship proceedings.
Eligible to Renounce Permanent Resident Status
- be a permanent resident of Canada;
- have citizenship or valid legal permanent resident status in another country.